ccluster[a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x]

PC Gaming - /pc/[Catalog][Board FAQ]

[?]

TopBottom
Image Thumbnail

Hi. So I'm looking for some good freeware games to kill time with. I have a shitty computer (~1GB of RAM) so I can't play anything that requires a lot of RAM or processing power. I tried to re-play Soldat the other day but I kept getting a bullshit error about a lack of OpenGL support on my video card so I couldn't get back into it again. So I've tried out Under the Garden, beat Knytt and am dying like a motherfucker in Spelunky often. I've only made it to the first jungle level 3 times out of 65 tries or so. I beat Cave Story (again) recently and just need something new to try out. No fighting, racing, sporty or Room Escape-type games please. Please summarize what the game is about and if you know the genre please list that too. I would appreciate any suggestions.

>>

Emulation is your friend. You can play most psp games ( with adjusting settings) ds games (with adjusting settings and desumex432... its the better version of it just the dudes in japan). And every console n64 era and back. Those 2d games are godly in being able to run on nothing. Retroarch, psp emulator and that ds emulator. That's endless gaming. Yes, you can't go past a certain gen. But who cares? You have 1000s of games to play dude.

>>

>>4524 ...And what would you suggest I use to load the emulators on? I'm not going to play games the old-school way via the keyboard--that's just too much of a hassle. I have a Wii with the Homebrew Channel on it with a Nintendo, SNES and GB/A emulator on it but I don't have the ability to transfer new games at the moment (it won't recognize the USB drive I use nor does this laptop have a SD card slot oddly enough).

>>

>>4525 Play doom 1 and 2

>>

>>4531 Not into shoot'em-ups. They bore me.

>>

with 1 gb of ram, you can be the god of tetris.

>>

>>4523 Have you tried gog.com? If you make an account, they will give you some freeware default games. Sometimes they give good stuff like duke nukem 3D and old fallouts

>>
Image Thumbnail

From this list I recommend façade, warning forever, la mulana, n, toribash if you are into slow motion turn based fighting games, yume nikki if you like mazes (I don't)

>>
Image Thumbnail

>>4547 I've already used this as a reference point which is why I tried Spelunky in the first place (OP pic) but the difficulty of that game was too much for me. I died over 100 times and only managed to make it to the second jungle level. And I only got to the jungle a maybe 6? times in total. I've also played Knytt (which only took 45 minutes to complete), I played Soldat in the past but can't play it due to some video card/Open_GL? issue, I beat Cave Story on the PC years ago, I've got Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on a flash drive along with the original N game. And I played the original Jumper on Newgrounds years ago during the golden age of flash. I'm more into RPG-style games but I like to explore and level up my characters in numerous ways. I'm not a fan of shooter games but I really enjoyed Soldat. Mainly because I didn't take it seriously and goofed off a lot.

>>

>>4546 No, but I did grab some games off of http://www.myabandonware.com months ago. Like Sim Ant, Sim Tower and some other oldies lol. Apparently this laptop can run Civilization IV but I have to set everything to medium/low settings for it to run smoothly. I really wish I could play Spore again but I don't dare on this piece of shit. One game I'd really like to try out is Black & White and its sequel. I enjoy simulation-type games as well and heard it's quite fun.

>>

>>4523 Ur-Quan Masters HD

>>

>>4547 >>4548 Iji is great and got updated recently

>>

>>4554 I played this for a few hours yesterday. It's kind of boring because you're doing the same things over and over--sometimes on a really hostile planets, sometimes not. Even though it's been updated it feels like a game from the 90's (which I don't mind) and the movement is a bit of a pain. I mean, you pretty much have to be precisely on top of a planet to visit it and depending on its size you can fly by it pretty easily even though you should have been close enough and therefore waste fuel if you accidentally end up back out into Hyperspace. It'd be nice if there were more tracks to listen because the space one gets old really quickly too. I'll keep playing but I'm not sure for how long. >>4555 Not big into fighting/shoot'em ups but I'll check it out nonetheless.

Update 5