Enrive[ a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x / ]

PC Gaming - /pc/ [Catalog] [Board FAQ]

CAPTCHA Image

TopBottom

Image Thumbnail

Unreal Engine 5 is looking great in their tech demo. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw ) They're no longer doing LOD (Level of Detail) scaling, and "everything just works". Near unlimited details (BILLIONS of triangles), global dynamic lighting, simulated soundscapes, et cetera. Dynamic movements. /Didn't they boast about that back when the LAST Playstation came out? What's so different NOW?) The actual CHARACTER still looks like a painted figurine, though. Does any of this matter, though? No. Around Half-Life 2, gaming graphics became as good as it was going to get. Anything beyond that is just going to be a waste of detail. Graphics doesn't matter anymore. What matters is if anyone can come up with GAMEPLAY that hasn't been done to death already. I'm playing Subterrain right now, and while the game is really repetative, the CONCEPT beats games like Resident Evil 3 or any other triple A games, where you're basically cleaning up levels and having to mine stuff to produce new items. It's an unapologetic 2D game with basically rotation being the core graphics feature. I don't need anything more than that. I doubt any actual game developers are going to bother with this level of detail either. They might add some photosets here and there, but then everything else will just look like CGI, and they're not going to sit around lots of detail manually. ...so this tech demo is impressive, IF they're actually being honest about all of this, but it feels like a waste.

>>

>>4966 Laser scanning technology can quickly import realistic graphics to a game however, but yeah, there aren't a lot of practical applications for it juts yet. The textures of the landscape in that demo is indeed amazing, and the character does look like a painted cartoon.